Thursday, April 10, 2014

Remedial Massage

This morning I went and had a remedial massage and it was SO good.

I have ongoing shoulder soreness, particularly in my right shoulder, which I've experienced for many years and is put down to my many years of being a swimmer and the fact I am right handed so I'm reliant on that arm for doing things.

It has been quite sore recently and when I went for a swim a last week it was quite painful to do freestyle at times. I also notice it when I do any overhead arm/shoulder movements.

I was very impressed with my therapist. He is ex-army and has had a few injuries himself over the years and he thoroughly explained what he was doing, that it wasn't going to be comfortable but that it would help with my complaints.

He was right - it was uncomfortable, even slightly painful at times but I feel amazing after it. I will definitely be going back for more in the future as I require it and I figure I have cover in my health fund so I should get what I'm paying for.

It's always interesting when I get massage to find areas you don't know are sore either until they start working the muscles - this was certainly the case as he did my thighs. He straight away said to me "you do squats regularly don't you" - which is the case - because the way my muscles are indicated this and my reaction to the pressure on them. Also didn't help it was legs days too days ago and then I went running last night too.

Whilst it is not the most comfortable experience and is nothing like going to get a nice relaxation massage at a day spa, I really enjoy this type of massage. I know it is helping my muscles and staying on top of soreness/injuries is crucial to ensuring I don't do any further damage and allows me to protect them and help them stay strong.


No comments:

Post a Comment