Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Enjoying the outdoors

I have to say that I love being able to run along the promenade where I live. It makes me so thankful to live in such a beautiful spot and to have weather which is usually quite good but even with some rain it's still quite a nice spot to run along.

I'm certainly not the only one who makes the most of living in this wonderful spot and it's normally quite busy when I head along there, especially after work and on the weekends.

As it isn't sheltered I will sometimes head into the streets around the area rather than run along the water to get some shade provided from the trees, but even though there isn't the water view there are so many beautiful queenslander style homes around I enjoy having a bit of nosey. It is also quite nice running the streets as there isn't normally anyone else on them since everyone heads to the water.

I find it interesting to think how far I've come with my running. Not all that long ago I had a firm mindset I wasn't a runner, a mindset I've had for as long as I can remember. It probably stems from the fact I used to lose cross-country at school and I HATE losing. My family and friends can all assure you how competitive I am. But since I changed my mindset I started off doing bits and bobs on the treadmill and slowly building this up, I was too scared to run outside and felt say inside the confines of the gym.

Now I would rather run on the pavement than run on a treadmill, I enjoy the sunshine (or the rain), the breeze and just being outside. I also like that things can change outside and you run at the speed you can achieve that particular day and in that particular moment rather than pre-setting the treadmill, I often run faster than I would set for myself, not on purpose but because I obviously run faster than I think!




No comments:

Post a Comment